Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Prep before Painting: Assembling and Pinning Ol'Rowdy - Cygnar Heavy Character Warjack

Hey you guys!

As with my Thunderhead Heavy Character Warjack, the assembly of Ol'Rowdy was quite difficult, compared to the Warmachine models I built up to this point. So I wanted to take my time in building this hunking piece of metal. I even did my first little conversion work on this one, which turned out really good in my opinion.

One piece of advice when assembling such a large figure:


This saves you much hassle in the long run, trust me...

I started out with washing all the pieces in warm and soapy water to remove all the mould release agent and removing all the mould lines from the model with my hobby knife.

All the parts cleaned and ready for assembly

 I started with connecting the tank to the main part of the torso. For gluing the pieces in place, I used Gorilla Glue, my now favourite brand of CA Glue - the strength of this stuff is just ridiculous, even before pinning. Perfect for heavy models like this one.

Awesome super glue
First two parts fitted and glued.
While this dried, I started working on the legs, which were super-easy to glue into place. The fit right into place and didn't need any pinning whatsoever. On the bottom of the feet I did leave the casting pegs in place, as I'd have to pin them to the legs anyway.

I then assembled the rest of the torso. For added durability, I filled the hollow space with green stuff. I first glued the left shoulder into place, let it set and then added the putty through the middle part, condensing it with the handle of a tool I had lying around. It was a very snug fit, as I added the Green Stuff in several stages to make sure now hollows would form.

When this was done, I glued the second shoulder piece into place. to make for a tight fit, I added a bit of green stuff and removed the overflow where it occurred.

Shoulder glued into place
Green Stuff mixed and ready
The torso is filled in several stages.
Ready for the second shoulder-part.
Glued in place and excess GS is removed.
With the two main parts ready, I prepared the base. I added a dot of red paint to each peg on the feet and pressed it onto the base. I then used my pin vice and hobby knife to make the holes for the feet.

Top and bottom ready
Feet placement

Fits like a glove

Now for the conversion work. I didn't like the four chimney setup, so I added one of the larger ones to the boiler, placing it in the middle between the other smokestacks, which looks fantastic in my opinion. I even added a bit of texture to the based of the stack with green stuff to make it look like a coarse weld line. The pilot indentations, where the stacks where supposed to go originally, where filled with green stuff and smoothed out with a clay shaper.

The area smoothed out
The middle stack added.
For the last step I decided to pin the arms to the torso, because this adds a whole new level of stability to the model. For this, I just drilled holes in both arms and torso, added a piece of wire and then glued the arms into place - easy-peasy. Just make sure to dry fit the length of the wire into the shoulder-socket, so you won't leave it too long by accident.

Arms drilled and wire added.
Dry-fitted and then clipped the wire to fit the socket better.
I found the peg on the leg much to big for the piece of armour that was supposed to go there. So I mixed a bit of Green Stuff and just laid it around the peg, and then glued the plate into place, so I wouldn't have gaps.

Bit of GS added
Armour plate glued in
And Ol'Rowdy is finished, ready to be painted, which I will be covering in one of my From Zero to Hero posts. I hope this little guide may help some of you, because I have found that Privater Press may make fantastic models, but their instructions sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

The finished Warjack



0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment