Today, I want to talk you through painting the Cygnar Battle Box Charger Light Warjack. For this one, I first cleaned, washed and assembled the model.
As I wanted to experiment with my airbrush a bit, I wanted to try something new with this jack: pre-shading.
I first saw this technique on a tank tutorial over on BuyPainteds youtube channel and wanted to adapt the technique for my jack.
I primed the model grey and uses my airbrush to spray black into all the recesses. When this was done, I used white to set my highlights on all the raised areas, watching out not to lighten the already finished shadows.
When I was satisfied a used my airbrush to lay down a thin coat of my basecolor, Hawk Turquoise. This was done very lightly, not to drown out the pre-shading.
For the metallics, I first painted all the silvery areas black and then applied a thinned down mix of Gunmetal Metal. For all the ornate metal areas, I basecoated in Brassy Brass and then washed with thinned Devlan Mud. For Highlights I used Bright Bronze and Glorious Gold in layers to build my colors up.
As I also use Ivory on my Cygnar army, I decided to use another technique new to me: Masking with Blue Tac (or Pattafix as it is called in Germany). I masked off the area I wanted to coat with Ivory and started brushing, As you can see, the coverage on the edges was not perfect, but easily enough to fix later.
|A bit of overspray.|
|All cleaned up|
For the Details, I washed all the bolts on the model with Heavy Body Black Wash and used Gunmetal Metal and a little dab of Chainmail Silver to make them stand out.
Because there were some small scratches on the surface of the model, I decided to weather the jack a bit. For that I used Electric Blue, Chaos Black and finally Chainmail Silver as multiple scratch layers to age the model up a bit.
On the hammer I wanted to give the impression, that the whole thing is crackling with energy. So I wanted a slight glow coming from the recesses on the weapon.
|1:1 Imperial Blue and Electric Blue|
|1:1 Electric Blue and Skull White|
For the bases, I first laid down some PVA Glue and dipped the whole thing into my box with basing grit. The I flooded the base with my Dark Sepia Wash to lock the sand down.
|My Dark Sepia Wash|
|Flood Washing the base|
|The sand can be locked down this way|
|The end result|
|The scratched up Warjack|
|Varnished, but not based entirely|
|The final product|