Sunday, July 8, 2012

From Zero to Hero: Doppelganger - Malifaux Neverborn Minion

Hey guys,

the move is heating up, so I just have time for a quick one today ;-).

Preview of the finished figure



I primed the mini with Vallejo Polyurethane Black Primer.


The towel was basecoated with VGC Sombre Grey.


The exposed flesh areas where basecoated with a 2:1 mix of VMC Vermillion and VMA Black.


After the basecoat was dry, it was drybrushed in various stages, adding VGC Squid Pink into the mix.

1st drybrush VMC Vermillion

2nd drybrush 1:1 VMC Vermillion and VGC Squid Pink

3rd drybrush 2:1 VGC Squid Pink to VMC Vermillion
 For the skin, I started out painting every limb a different shade of skintone, to decide what color I wanted to go. Check out the pic below to see how the different colors look on the mini.



I finally decided on using VGC Cadmium Skin as this was was giving me the biggest contrast to the exposed flesh on the back of the figure and I really wanted a stark difference between the front and the back so the difference would really pop.


The face was washed with Ogryn Flesh.


I didn't want to use the flesh wash on the rest of the mini though, because the effect would be to "tint" the figure a reddish color and this would ruin the contrast I had going. So I shaded the skin with a 1:1 mix of VGC Cadmium Skin and VGC Leather Brown. This gave me much more control of the shading process and made for a very subtle shadow, but was very time consuming.


The towel was then painted white with multiple thin layers of VMC Foundation White, being careful not to paint the skin areas.


The whole figure was then sealed with Vallejo Polyurethane Gloss Varnish, preparing it for the black oil wash. I was very unhappy with the dirty look this gave to the towel, even after I cleaned this up with mineral spirits.



In the end I redid the whole towel with GW Mordian Blue. This still gave a nice contrast but looked much better than the white. I applied one heavy wash of Asurmen Blue for a very subtle shade on the blue towel.


This was then highlighted in multiple stages. I added VGC Electric Blue to the basecolor and highlighted all the folds of the towel. The brightest highlights were given to the areas of the folds that would be most exposed to a light source from above.


The base inlay from Iron Halo was primed with Vallejo Polyurethane Grey Primer. The wood areas where painted with a 1:1 mix of VGC Leather Brown and VGC Bad Moon Yellow and washed with Devlan Mud. The metal area was basecoated with black to make the metals really stand out.


The metal area was then blocked in with VMA Stell.


The hair of the Doppelganger was based with VMC Chocolate Brown and then highlighted with a mix of VMC Chocolate Brown and VGC Bad Moon Yellow.


The flayed skin areas where painted with a 1:1:1 mix of VMC Vermillion, VGC Squid Pink and VGC Cadmium Skin to tie the front and back of the mini together.


The cogwheels where painted with VGC Brassy Brass and the


For weathering the metals, I liberally dabbed on some Tamiya x-19 Smoke, which gave a very nice aging effect.


The weathering process was then finished by applying different shades of red pigments to rust the silver metal areas. The copper cogwheels where washed with a turquoise-green wash for a nice verdigris effect.


To seal my work, I covered the mini with Vallejo Polyurethane Matte Varnish. When this was dry, I covered the exposed flesh on the back of the figure with gloss varnish, so it would appear wet and bloody.


This was my second Malifaux mini and I really dig the models so far. They have a lot of character and just look great if you take the extra effort when painting them up.

Here you have some pics of the finishes model:







Till next time and let me know what you think of this figure :-)

Cheers,


IK-Painter

0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment