Sunday, May 20, 2012

From Zero to Hero: Ol'Rowdy - Cygnar Character Heavy Warjack

Hey guys!

I've built Ol'Rowdy way back and finally decided it's time to slap some paint on him. This also gave me the chance to experiment a bit and giving Oil Washes a first try.

Preview of the finished model 

1. Basecoating:

After priming the model with Vallejo Polyurethane Grey Primer, I laid down a basescoat of VGC Hawk Turquoise on all the non metallic parts of the model.

The highlights were airbrushed onto all the raised areas with a 1:1 mix of VGC Hawk Turquoise and VMC White. I also painted the armor plating on the arms with VMC Ivory, so the 'Jack would fit in with the rest of my forces.

The shadows were airbrushed with a 1:1 mixture of VGC Hawk Turquoise and VGC Black.

The metallic parts where given a basecoat of VMA Steel.

To protect the airbrush work I've done so far, I sealed the model with Gloss Varnish.

I then used Vallejo Liquid Gold Copper to paint all the ornamental metallic areas.

Some mistakes where corrected with going over the silvery metallics with VMA Steel again.

With the initial stage done, I put another coat of gloss varnish onto the miniature.

2. Weathering in 4 Stages

For weathering I decided to go a bit overboard. An oil wash followed by a patina wash where appropriate, chipping and finally some weathering pigments.

You can find my setup for the oil wash here.

As it was the first time for me using an oil wash, I made some mistakes along the way. The wash I created was too heavy and I should have used Satin Varnish instead of Gloss, so I would have had more control. Cleaning up with White Spirits helped a bit, but most of the finer highlights I did with my airbrush where lost - so use this wash sparingly!

After the wash

After the clean-up

Sealed with Varnish

Next up, I wanted to give the mini a bit of a mystical air, so I decided on painting some of the details on the model as gemstones. I basically laid down a basecoat of a 1:1 mix of VGC Black and VMC Vermillion and layer-glazed my way up to a brighter vermillion tone, leaving some of the darker colors visible. This took a long time, as each stone had to be painted different, because for this model my imaginary light source would be overhead. As a last step, I painted a reflective dot opposite to the brightest red tone I used.

Colors used...

... on my wet pallette

Gems basecoated

And layered up to a brighter red

For the second weathering stage I used some chipping, mainly to fix my mistake from the oil wash. I just took a bit of blister sponge and dapped some random black spots onto areas of the model, which would have seen a lot of wear and tear. To make the chips stand out, I lined the underside of each chip with a 1:1 mix of VGC Hawk Turquoise and VMC White.

Now for some pigments. I used three rust shades and randomly dabbed them onto the silvery metal areas with a small brush, mixing them on the model so they would look natural.

I also dabbed some black pigments onto the smoke stacks, so they would appear grimy and used.

For the last weathering technique, I added mixed up a patina wash, using a 4:2:1 mixture of VGC Livery Green : VGC Electric Blue : VCG Skull White, thinned with Magic Water (10:1 mix of Water:Flow Aid) to a wash like consistency. This is then dabbed sparingly onto the coppery areas of the model.

3. Final Steps:

I painted some details left on the model and then sealed it with two coats of Matte Varnish. Then I used a brush and painted Gloss Varnish on the gemstones, so they would shine and really stand out.

For basing, I used the same technique as on the rest of my Cygnar forces. Apply PVA, Sand-Gravel mixture, Flood wash with Dark Sepia wash, finish the rim of the base and finally apply some static grass, bushes and a nic-nac or two - the destroyed Khadoran arm really makes the rest of the model pop.

4. Some shots of the finished model

I had a great time painting this model and learned a lot on different weathering techniques. I also believe, that the model came out great.



0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment