Sunday, October 7, 2012

From Zero to Hero: Stitched Together - Malifaux Neverborn Minions

Hey guys,

today I wanted to show you, how I painted the Malifaux Stitched Together minions. I started out by pinning and mounting the miniatures to the corks, removing the mould lines and priming them with black surface primer.


I then applied a basecoat with VMC Leather Brown to both the figures.


Highlights were achieved by adding the VGC Bonewhite to the brown basecolor. In several small increments, and the amount of Bonewhite  was heightened, until the last highlights was pure VGC Bonewhite.


You can see, that this made for a very fine and very smooth gradient in the highlight.


All the areas, where the stuffing of the Stitched Togethers shows through, was basecoated with VMC Vermillion.


I then added random spots of the VGC Hexed Lichen and VGC Squid Pink to the red areas, to make for a color variation in the internal organs and the gore which is shown.


The spine and various bone parts are painted with VGC Bonewhite.


The stitches, which hold these evil burlap sacks together, are painted with the VMC Ivory, to make a nice contrast to the main colour of the model.


The lantern on one of the minis is painted with a 1:1 mix of VGC Brassy Brass and VGC Black to make a nice dark metal basecoat.


The eyes of the figures are painted with VGC Livery Green.


I overpainted some of the areas when adding the VGC Livery Green, but I fixed this mistake again with the highlight color, which made a very nice effect. When adding high contrast colors too deep recesses in the model, it is always important to make a nice clean cut between the different colors,  so they will really pop.


When all the main colors where blocked in, I gave both figures a heavy coat of Vallejo Gloss Varnish.


The coat of varnish protects the model for the next step, a brown oil wash.


This wash was applied very liberal over the whole model, making sure to get enough shading in the deep recesses.


After the wash was dry to the touch, I cleaned it up with a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a make-up applicator.


For a bit of a OSL effect, I glazed VGC Livery Green over the eye area of the model. This was done in a lot of passes making sure that the later passes where concentrated on the areas closer to the eye, so it would look like that the brightest point is near the eye socket.


When I was satisfied with the shading, I gave the models a heavy coat of Matte Varnish.


I really love painting these figures. They were creepy and loaded up with the detail. And I really do think, that these two are some of my best work so far. I leave you with some shots of the finishing models.

Cheers,


IK-Painter







0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment